Search This Blog

Friday, June 22, 2012

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

I recently ran out of my dishwasher tabs that I buy at Sam's club. They worked fine, but were a little pricey for my new budget. So I set out to make my own detergent. I like using homemade cleaners because they are cheaper and tend to work better. I already had everything I needed. Two of the ingredients are also used in my homemade laundry detergent. 


1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup citric acid

Put in a jar and shake well. To use just add 1 Tablespoon to the detergent dispenser in your dishwasher. Easy peasy!!

Instead of buying expensive rinse aid, just fill the liquid dispenser with plain white vinegar. I keep vinegar in a small squirt bottle to make it easier to fill.


The cost comparison breaks down like this:
Cascade Action Pacs 95 count for $15.98 = $.17 per load
Homemade Detergent 48 loads for $2.98 = $.05 per load

Jet Dry 27.5 ozs for $9.88 = $.36 per ounce
Vinegar 128 ozs for $1.25 = $.01 per ounce

Yes, it is just pennies, but every penny adds up! Give it a try.  :)

1 comment: