Search This Blog

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Mashed Potatoes from a box???

I remember when I first discovered that some people got their mashed potatoes from a box. I was 17 years old and the year was 1998. I was shocked and disgusted. Really? You are to lazy to peel and boil a potato?? See I was fed for the first 12 years of my life by the best cook I have ever known, my great grandmother, Edna Mae Fuller. She was taught to cook by her mother, Lillie Mae (Eason)Gibbs. I can't recall a single day of those 12 years that potatoes were not peeled or cut up in our home. Mamaw cooked at least 3 meals a day. Mamaw and Papaw NEVER ate outside the house. When Mamaw got really sick we would have Arthur's BBQ sandwhiches on Wednesday nights that my Nonny (our name for my grandmother) would bring home. But even then, Mamaw and I would peel and cut potatoes to deep fry for homemade steak fries. When Mamaw died when I was 12, it was Nonny and me that cooked. We ate out ALOT after that because Nonny often worked late and I wasn't confident in the kitchen without my Mamaw. Still, I could boil a tater for crying out loud!
Well, flash forward 13 years. I LOVE these instant potatoes. I eat them at least twice a week. My momma can't figure out how I make a meal of nothing but instant potatoes. Well you add cheese and bacon bits and sour cream. :) I still make 'good' potatoes sometimes and anytime I am feeding anyone else. But for a meal quicker than a frozen dinner, I turn to those once disdained instant potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment