Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Home Made Laundry Soap

I NEVER buy laundry detergent anymore. Thanks to the AWESOME Duggar family, and a friend who introduced me to recipe, I can now make 10 gallons of laundry soap at a time, for around $2.
Here is the link to the Duggar family recipe:
www.duggarfamily.com/recipes.html
I am posting pictures of myself making this tonight just as a visual aid.



The basic materials are borax, washing soda, and Fels-Naptha bar soap. I bought my Fels-Naptha at the Kroger on Geyer Springs. You can also order it online. I haven't found it at Wal-Mart, yet.



You grate the soap using a food grater, or you could probably use a food processor. I like getting my arm workout though.



Heat your 4 cups of water in a heavy bottom pot and then add your grated soap. Stir until all melted.




Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of water. Add your melted soap, 1/2 cup of borax, and 1 cup of washing soda. Stir until all powder is dissolved.



Then you fill the bucket to the top with hot water, stir, cover, and allow to sit overnight to gel.
When you are ready to use, take a clean empty container and mix half of the mix and half water and then shake it up. Use 5/8 of a cup per load. My big bucket lasted almost 6 months, and I do a lot of laundry!
I will be happy to provide a sample to anyone who lives close to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment