Search This Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Salmon with Mustard Sauce and Asparagus

So, I got some flak from my baby sister about making 'elaborate' meals. This post is to share a delicious recipe and to show her how easy it really is to make a healthy, yummy meal at home. This isn't my original, but I don't remember when I got the recipe, so my apologies to the author.

Roasted Salmon with Mustard Sauce and a side of Asparagus

1/2 cup Dijon mustard (I use Grey Poupon)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsps white wine vinegar
2 lbs fresh asparagus
coarse salt
fresh ground pepper
4 salmon steaks
1 Tbs olive oil, plus extra for grilling pan

-Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
-Mix mustard, sugar, and vinegar in a small bowl. Put half in a separate bowl for basting and reserve the other half for drizzling at presentation.
-Season salmon steaks with salt and pepper. Using a brush, lightly baste each side with the mustard sauce. Place on baking sheet and roast until cooked through, about 10 - 15 minutes or so.
-Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss asparagus with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill (or use heavy bottom skillet on stove), turning occasionally until brown and tender (I like my asparagus slightly crisp).
-To serve, place salmon on large platter and drizzle with reserved sauce. Add asparagus to platter and serve. I sometimes add baked potatoes and fresh made garlic bread, since we are meat and tater people :)
The cost breaks down like this:
asparagus: $3.99
salmon: $4.00
grey poupon $1.13
oil $.10
vinegar $.10
sugar $.05
salt and pepper $.03
for a total of $9.40 / 4 servings gives $2.35 per serving.
A reasonable price for a delicious, healthy meal created with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment